Connect with us

accident

Woman choked to death on chewing gum after falling asleep with it in her mouth

Woman choked to death on chewing gum after falling asleep with it in her mouth

A lady choked to death after falling asleep while chewing gum, an inquest heard this week.

Sulwen Jones, 55, chewed gum often which helped cope with having a dry mouth from medication.

However she was discovered dead at her house in Caernarfon, North Wales.

Her sister discovered her unconscious on October 5, 2021, and paramedics were not in a position to revive

The inquest this week was informed Sulwen took treatment for multiple sclerosis, which she was diagnosed with precisely 20 years before she died.

Sulwen usually chewed gum for her dry throat, the listening to heard.

Paramedics informed the hearing in Caernarfon they believed she had fallen asleep with a bit in her mouth and choked.

A post mortem later discovered traces of chewing gum throughout her physique including her airways.

Her medical reason for death was given as aspiration of chewing gum resulting from a number of sclerosis.

Assistant Coroner Sarah Riley returned a conclusion of unintentional demise.

She stated: “I agree with pathologists in respect of the medical reason behind death.

“Miss Jones’s death will be dominated as an accident because of the surprising consequence of chewing gum.”

Follow Topgist.ng across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Click to comment

DROP A COMMENT

Your email address will not be published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

MOST RECENT POSTS

More in accident